[tcs-lc] Bibliographic Standards

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Apr 22 00:04:41 PDT 2005

Arthur --

Many thanks for the links!  Interesting, and timely.  I've quickly looked
over Miller (2004), and much of it resonates well with the data management
challenges I face daily.  What struck me is that the ten "Xobian Principal
Elements" encompass almost all my data management primary objects very
effectively (not just bibliographic). E.g.:

CONCEPT (taxon concepts, keywords, etc.)
STRING (taxon names, vernacular names, catalog numbers, comments, excerpts,
etc.)
LANGUAGE (traditional human languages, and possibly Codes of nomenclature)
ORGANIZATION/BEING (two major subtypes of Agents)
EVENT (Collecting events, curation events, specimen transaction events,
etc.)
TIME (self-evident)
PLACE (self-evident)
OBJECT (specimens & observed organisms)
WORK (Publications, unpublished documentation, images, etc.)

I will give these resources more careful consideration when I have more
time.

Again, many thanks for forwarding these links.

Aloha,
Rich

P.S. Apologies for the cross-post; but this has some relevance to recent
discussions on the LC/TCS list.

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pylerichard.html