[tcs-lc] anamorph teleomorph nomenclatural or concept matters.

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Thu Apr 7 00:57:32 PDT 2005

> Interesting question Roger. I would say they are purely nomenlatural
> relationships; also they only apply to a subset of the fungi.
> If the fungus is growing in a Petri dish and exibiting both morphs
> there is no real relationship to model - it's one collection
> of one fungus. In the long run I think it would
> be safer to leave it in the LC part - given that separate
> naming of morphs is likely to disappear in the foreseeable future

I disagree with you Paul, I think using a concept relationship for
anamorph/teleomorph relations is the better option.

As you say, the special cases are likely to disappear. The special case is ONLY
that anamorphic names remain valid and continue to be published. Otherwise, you
have morphologically different life stages in many other taxonomic groups. They
are being cleaned out as science progresses, and in zoology and higher plants
that process is probably complete - I would not want to say the same for
protists...

After cleanout what remains is a special form of synonymy - which elsewhere
belongs to concepts. I believe usually this is not marked as being special in
zoology, but it could be.

The special case you mention that you create two names for one thing in the
petri dish is not a necessity. Anamorph teleomorphs I believe are more
frequently "detected" and based on different types. The special case you
mention (which is a result of anamorphic names remaining valid in fungi) is
aptly covered by type-identity. It is not really different from two
independently published names being accidentially based on the same type
specimen.

Paul - would any reasoning about anamorph/teleomorph NOT be detectable by
concept synonymy, testing for type identity, and testing for nomenclatural
validity? Do we need an "is anamorphic name" flag in the nomenclatural part? I
am uncertain about this, but this is different from modeling the relationships
(including the synanamorphs, where one teleomorph/holomorph has more than one
accepted anamorphic name) in Linn. Core.

I believe the unexpected thing that would happen to a naïve processor is that
coming from an accepted name, the concept synonyms contain a concept that is
also accepted. -- In fact I am not sure how TCS distinguishes accepted taxa
(concepts) (as opposed to nomenclaturally accepted names - which are those name
concepts that are eligable as concept names). ??

Gregor

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203