[Tcs-lc] beyond schema design

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Fri Apr 1 01:58:26 PST 2005

There are currently four standards up for review by TDWG and these can be split into two categories - two with real world implementations and two without. DC2 has DiGIR and ADCD2 has BioCASE; SDD and TCS have no equivalents.

The whole TCS-LC arena, outside the discussions of the internal structure of the schema, is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - users (outside taxonomy) want the tools to analyse TCS documents and we need the TSC before we can develop the tools, but we also need the tools to show that the TCS can answer some user specific question.

TCS-LC needs a proof of concept real world tool. It's fine producing TCS-LC documents for a few datasets to show that the schema supports certain types of data sets but what we really need to 'sell' TCS-LC is a simple tool that can take a couple of these documents and generate a report. For example, a small subset of a couple of national checklists (one genus with 5-10 species) where there is some overlap; i.e. names present in both checklists but in different contexts, e.g. one name recognized as a good species in one checklist but as a synonmy in the other.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that such a simple tool, even if it's somewhat 'stage managed', can be easily developed?

Paul

Dr Paul M. Kirk
Biosystematist
CABI Bioscience
Bakeham Lane
Egham
Surrey TW20 9TY
UK
tel. (+44) (0)1491 829023, fax (+44) (0)1491 829100, email p.kirk at cabi.org
www.cabi-bioscience.org; www.indexfungorum.org
Whilst CAB International takes steps to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at cabi at cabi.org or by telephone on +44 (0)1491 829199 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.