[seek-taxon] Concept data

Aimee Stewart astewart at ku.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:41:54 PDT 2006

Hi Bob,

I'm following up on our conversation after your talk, "The Transition to
Taxon Concepts in a World of Legacy Data" at TDWG.  It's obvious that
you put a massive effort into creating concepts and relationships
between them for the flora of the Southeast from many different sources.

I cc-ed Seek-Taxon, Matt, and Deana because I'm salivating over these data!

You talked about 100,000 concepts and 50,000 concept relationships.  How
many species does that represent? Genera? Genii?  Matt, I'm wondering if
we might replace our bat use case with one or more of these species.
The data has already been input and related, and the bat data would
still have to be researched, input, and mapped.   Seems like we might be
able to focus our dwindling resources more effectively if we didn't redo
this work for a different group.   Are we too far along?  Are there
other reasons why we should stick with bats?  Bob, are there any
particularly interesting species you could recommend?  Deana, some time
ago, we talked about using grasses data that you had for some work with
KR-SMS.  How could these data fit with those objectives?  Anyone else
have ideas?

I did not see these data in CVS anywhere - did I overlook it?  At the
very least, it would be a great workout for the TOS.

Thanks,
Aimee