[seek-taxon] Plans for the May All Hands Meeting

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Wed Mar 22 15:15:01 PST 2006

SEEK-TAXON

To follow-up on our SEEK-Taxon call from this morning, we put our heads
together here to inch toward a plan for the materials we need to put
together for the All-Hands meeting NSF review, namely a 20-minute
presentation, a poster, and a one-page glossy handout with circles and
arrows and bullets in living color.

Jessie kindly offered to consider an outline for the presentation, as
she must develop a similar talk for a meeting next month.

Aimee, Rob and I have another offer we would like to table.

We would be willing to do the poster design, layout and creation (with
content supplied by all), and the one-pager, AND take the lead in
assembling the layout and graphics of the PowerPoint presentation -- if
Jessie would be willing to deliver the talk.  By relieving Jessie of the
mundane aspects of the PowerPoint slide design (we would all contribute
to content) that would allow her to focus her energies on the actual
staging content of the delivery.  And Jessie gets our vote as the most
engaging spokesperson!

We think that would take advantage of our in house design and assembly
skills, we also have a graphic designer on retainer who we can use for
anything custom. We would enjoy doing this and by having one team do it,
we would be sure to have a very well organized and consistently
formatted 'presence' for all three media. We have a strong feel for the
what would be successful in terms of format and design to impress the
reviewers who will be present--about all of our joint work.

Please let us know if this sounds good to you.

-- Jim

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center
University of Kansas