[seek-taxon] SEEK Project Meeting October 24-28

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Tue Sep 6 22:10:12 PDT 2005

Hi Mark:

I hope all goes well.  As you probably know from Raja or from our
earlier conversations, our NSF ITR-funded SEEK Project is having it's
annual all-hands meeting in San Diego next month.  We are looking this
year to reach out to other U.S. bioinformatics initiatives to see where
and how we might leverage our investment in research data management and
analysis technologies, particularly through network-based integration
architectures.

I have been asked by the SEEK executive group (of PIs), to make contact
to see if you would be willing to attend the meeting on October 24 and
25 and be willing to give a brief (~30 minute talk) to the assembled
SEEKers on the morning of the 25th, about the technology and IT
objectives of the CIPRES project.  You've talked with several of us
already about taxon data processing and we have a strong common interest
in managing and serving tree structured data and associated services.
We have some known overlap with tools, such as Hibernate (btw, thanks a
million for organizing that training).  We're hoping that CIPRES might
be able to send some additional technology leaders to the meeting, to
explore other possible areas of strategic overlap.

In addition to yourself, your new postdoc(?!), and Jenny, would you
think there would be any other CIPRES software or system developers,
interested in participating?  We'd be happy to cover their travel
expenses to the meeting and arrange for rooms etc.  We are particularly
interested in people who are 'natively' interested in development
collaborations with network technologies.

On Monday October 24, we will be reviewing our current status on the
SEEK project with several 30 minute subgroup reports.  And on Tuesday
October 25, we're allocating time in the morning for 30-40 minute
technical presentations from potential invited technology partners, like
you.  We'll also have time that week for some technology strategy
discussion.

I'd be happy to call and talk with you about this in more detail.  My
cell number is 785 331-8508.

Best,

Jim Beach
SEEK Project Co-PI