[seek-taxon] SEEK Project Annual Meeting October 24-28 San Diego

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Tue Sep 6 21:57:45 PDT 2005

Dear Cliff,

The NSF ITR-funded SEEK Project is having it's annual all-hands meeting
in San Diego next month.  We are looking this year to reach out to other
U.S. informatics initiatives to see where and how we might leverage our
investment in research data management and analysis technologies,
particularly through network-based integration architectures, with other
related initiatives.

I have been asked by the SEEK executive group (of PIs), to make contact
to see if you would identify anyone at NESCent who is central to the
technology planning and strategy of NESCent's unfolding informatics
architecture, that would be interested in meeting with us in October to
help us plan for data interactions with specific technologies and
technical architecture approaches.  In other words, someone who might
function in the role of a technology strategist, who might understand
e.g., the processing and data integration requirements at a high-level
of the NESCent research community.

On Monday October 24, we will be reviewing our current status on the
SEEK project with several 30 minute subgroup reports.  And on Tuesday
October 25, we're allocating time in the morning for 30-40 minute
technical presentations from potential invited technology partners, for
example someone from NESCent.  We would like to go beyond broad,
vision-level presentations, into a technology strategy and common
technology objectives kind of interaction.  We will also have time for
discussion and follow-up that week.

I know you are in an early, formative stage, but with some informatics
planning meetings already under your belt, I wonder if any particular
topic or technology person comes to mind in this context.  We're
committed to reach out to related research data processing communities
as part of our award from NSF, and we'd like to explore potential
technology synergies, between SEEK and NESCent for that reason.

I'd be happy to call and talk with you about this in more detail.  My
cell number is 785 331-8508.

Best,

Jim Beach
SEEK Project Co-PI