[seek-taxon] Agenda All Hands

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Thu Oct 13 22:34:38 PDT 2005

Hi Jim,

> I have a draft agenda for SEEK Taxon on the SEEK All Hands Meeting page,
> based on suggestions from our 9/30/05 conference call.  Let me know if
> you would like to make some changes, additions, etc.

Perhaps I am being opaque, but I fail to find a stand-alone document.
Perhaps I missed it, or perhaps you mean the blurbs integrated into the
overall program.  For the moment, I am assuming the latter.

Please recall from our last conference call, as documented on the wiki:
"In San Diego we should tackle and near-finalize the Taxon update of EML
(see above; Nico and Bob will prepare a draft beforehand). We need a
related tool for ecologists marking up a dataset with concepts in Morpho,
etc."  Nico and I still feel this is very important.  Nico is finalizing a
draft of the document we promised to distribute prior to the meeting and
in anticipation of this discussion.  Possibly you anticipate this fitting
in during the Wednesday morning discussion of Kepler integration.
However, I think we need to explicitly program a significant slice of time
for this, and if at all possible include others who would be involved with
EML modification -- this might be Matt and Kepler and others.

Probably we also need to have a slice of time with the semantic mediation
group to discuss what tools are need to facilitate merging of datasets
tagged with taxon concepts and who is responsible for these.  While
semantic mediation is most likely viewed by teh larger SEEK community as
responsible for mediation, the tasks involved in merging data entries
tagged with concepts presents a whole raft of issues that I doubt have
even occurred to them yet, but which we think about rather routinely.
How this should work will, to some extent, hinge on what data are embedded
as part of the EML upgrade proposed above.  For both the EML and semantic
mediation discussions you probably need to consult Matt to see how we fit
in with the other SEEK groups at the meeting.

Also, please recall that I will depart after lunch on Thursday.  If
possible, I would like to see Thursday prioritized so that the most
critical stuff is in the morning.  This might mean reversing what you
currently have listed for the morning and afternoon discussions.

> I have listed, Peet, Kennedy and Stewart as the tag team for the brief
> update on their respective subprojects for the Monday afternoon plenary
> session.  With a half-hour total, that would be about 10 minutes per
> presenter.

Please update us with respect to Matt's suggestion that there should
probably be only one speaker for Taxon.  I can go either way, though I
will be in no position to prepare anything longer than my proposed 10
minutes as all my time prior to the meeting is already booked (that's why
I am writing this at 1:30 am).

Best,
Bob

     Robert K. Peet, Professor & Chair         Phone:  919-962-6942
     Curriculum in Ecology, CB#3275            Fax:    919-962-6930
     University of North Carolina              Cell:   919-368-4971
     Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3275  USA          Email:  peet at unc.edu

                   http://www.unc.edu/depts/ecology/
                 http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/