[seek-taxon] TCS help: Placeholder question

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Wed Nov 30 07:16:04 PST 2005

Hi Guys

I agree with both of you. I'm not clear either about how TDWG are going
to deal with modularisation of schemas - and hope they look at it soon -
but have fears about this - I'll email them and see what they say they
are doing as it's important - and will let you know.
I checked with Robert here about where our Publication structure came
from before we started using placeholders and it is based on EndNote as
modelled in Rich Pyle's Taxonomer DB. Basically an XML representation of
what Rich had. Not what is in EML.

As it's not part of the TCS standard as such I don't mind which XML
structure we use to represent publications and as Robert says TOS will
store it - but I guess at some point Bob or other users will like to be
able to do useful things with it - even if it's just displaying them
nicely.

I guess at some point we'll need to decide on that....

Speak soon,

Jessie

I do
> > imagine that software that interfaces with TOS will need to display
> > publication details of the complexity supported by EML.
> >
> > Would this sort of solution work?
> >
> > Bob
> >

> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Robert Gales wrote:
> >
> >> Good Morning Jessie, Bob,
> >>
> >> Actually we are using the standard 1.01 version of the schema in
this
> >> latest version, so the PublicationDetailed is a Placeholder in the
> >> current work.
> >>
> >> Out of curiousity, what is the intention of the additional data,
other
> >> than just more detailed information?  Is TOS expected to handle and
do
> >> something meaningful with this extra data?
> >>
> >> - Rob

EML
> like
> from