[seek-taxon] FW: Observation WG - materials for your review (due Oct 26, 2005)

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Tue Nov 1 07:14:33 PST 2005

Hi Lynn,

I too expect the Biotics concept model to be compatable with TCS.  Recall
that the original Biotics data model for concepts was developed by Steve
Taswell at exactly the same time as I developed the concept data model for
VegBank, and we exchanged ideas rather frequently.  Subsequently Maggie
Woo of NatureServe and Mike Lee of VegBank have developed a protocol to
port Biotics community concept data into VegBank.  Compatability with the
VegBank model and the Biotics model were considered in Jessie Kennedy's
development of the TCS standard.  You may not support all of TCS, but you
can use it to exchange data fields you care about.  In the interest of
compatability, it would be ideal (both for NatureServe and VegBank) if you
could use some of the Moore Foundation funding to develop the capability
to port TCS compliant XML directly into and out of Biotics.

Best,
Bob

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Lynn Kutner wrote:

> Bob -
>
> Thank you so much for taking the time to provide very thoughtful and
> helpful notes on our evolving observation standard work. I'll be passing
> your email & writeup on to the rest of the team.
>
> A couple of quick words of hopefully reassurance - identification
> information is a top priority for NatureServe data management and we
> have been managing taxon concept information as a part of our core
> dataset for several years. I have not yet done a thorough comparison of
> our data model to the most current taxon concept standard proposed to
> TDWG, but think that they are compatible. Also - we are definitely
> taking the approach of incorporating existing standards where relevant
> but had not yet fleshed out the details, so I greatly appreciate your
> comments / suggestions for various standards to follow for portions of
> the observation information.
>
> I'm looking forward to additional feedback and collaboration!
>
> Thanks -
> Lynn
>
> Lynn Kutner
> NatureServe
> www.natureserve.org
> (303) 541-0360
> lynn_kutner at natureserve.org

  Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
  Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
  University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
  Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

              http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/