[SEEK-Taxon] Visualisation for museums people

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 09:05:28 PST 2005

Hi Jim

At Santa Barbara we gave you a demo of a version of the visualisation tool which might be of interest for museums people  - with the contents form Manis. You were going to speak to some people - both yourslef and Robert thought that they would be interested and we could develop the tool to be more directly suitable to their needs - but of course we owuld want to be sure what they would want to know.

For example I thought they might want to
see their classification and specimens and be able to compare what they had to other museums
to see where they were unique in terms of holdings of specimens,
how their naming compared to say for example that of ITIS or if available some other standard they were trying to follow
to see where they had strange names or unknowns that requried attention
possibly to provide a service for users so that on-line they could see which museum to go to for collections on specific taxa.

these were my thoughts but we hoped you would speak to some real museum curators whose data is in Manis (maybe even wider if they have digger interfaces - but let's focus on Manis first) to see if they would indeed be interested and if so what they really would want to be able to do.

thanks,

Jessie

Prof. Jessie B Kennedy
School of Computing
Napier University
Merchiston Campus
10 Colinton Road	tel:	+44 (0)131-455-2772
Edinburgh		fax:   	+44 (0)131-455-2727
EH10 5DT		mobile:	07974948703
Scotland		email: j.kennedy at napier.ac.uk

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.