[SEEK-Taxon] Re: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

Jerry Cooper CooperJ at landcareresearch.co.nz
Wed Mar 2 11:52:03 PST 2005

those who have been working on LC.

1) do you think that LC now identifies a significant proportion of
nomenclatural elements and relationships across all codes?
2) have you agreed a boundary for including names that lie outside the
code, but which have a 'nomenclatural' linkage to names considered
within the codes?
3) is it true to say that most current LC debate is about packaging and
not content?

It seems to me that if the answer to these three questions is 'yes', or
even 'nearly', then we have sufficient scope and quality assurance. I
also believe, that in this group at least, we all understand the
significant issues around taxon concepts well enough to move forward
from the current rhetoric.

Jerry

>>> Roger Hyam <roger at hyam.net> 3/03/2005 2:25:58 a.m. >>>
Hi everyone on the cc list!

I have thought long and hard about this and followed the debate with
interest. There seem to be quite a few people who are very close to
agreement on most things.

 From the point of view of an implementor I have a rather simple and
possibly naive question:

As regards nomenclature do we need to model everything (i.e. all
possible nomenclatural constructs) in the schema?

If YES - When do we know we have finished designing it?

If NO -  What can we leave out or relegate to a simple notes field?

There are 4 variables in any software project

1) Scope - what does the thing do.
2) Resources - how many people, machines etc.
3) Timescale - when do you want it by.
4) Quality - does it do what it says in the scope correctly.

In our case Resources are limited as not all experts can spend all
their
time on it. Timescale should be urgent as the things we are trying to
record have a growing tendency to become extinct. Quality should always

be 100%. The only thing we can manage here (as is usual in such
projects) is Scope. Hence the above question.

If we could take a decision as to whether we will model everything then

we can start working on how we know when we have finished or what we
will leave out.

I hope you will excuse my rather blunt approach.

Roger

  Roger Hyam
  Biodiversity Informatics
  Independent Web Development
  http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
  2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
  T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read,
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research.

Landcare Research
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz