[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Wed Mar 2 07:31:14 PST 2005

Walter,

My point was that most of the 'concepts' we might readily capture using TCS from, for example 400,000 herbarium labels from herb. IMI, will result in 400,000 concepts. A similar exercise might be carried out on fungi in herb. B but then I am still 'afraid' that however we analyse these two datasets we will be unable to resolve much beyond name matching and specimen (duplicates) matching, which says little about the taxa represented by the specimens themselves, and can be done without TCS.

Was the instability apparent from your analyses determined entirely 'mechanically', without redetermination of specimens or other taxonomic input?

A very extensively adopted methodology in producing national checklists is to account for only those names used in a national context (previous checklists, national flora/fauna/mycota) and ignore other names which might be universally recognized synonyms of the names accepted in the checklist. Now consider a checklist for each of two countries which use the same methodology but for a species common to both checklists use a different subset of those universally recognized synonyms. Will not all implementations of the TCS deduce that different species concepts are in use in the two checklists when, infact, there is but one species represented in both checklists?

Regards,

Paul