[SEEK-Taxon] Re: LC/TCS - How many schemas?

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed Mar 2 05:25:58 PST 2005

Hi everyone on the cc list!

I have thought long and hard about this and followed the debate with
interest. There seem to be quite a few people who are very close to
agreement on most things.

 From the point of view of an implementor I have a rather simple and
possibly naive question:

As regards nomenclature do we need to model everything (i.e. all
possible nomenclatural constructs) in the schema?

If YES - When do we know we have finished designing it?

If NO -  What can we leave out or relegate to a simple notes field?

There are 4 variables in any software project

1) Scope - what does the thing do.
2) Resources - how many people, machines etc.
3) Timescale - when do you want it by.
4) Quality - does it do what it says in the scope correctly.

In our case Resources are limited as not all experts can spend all their
time on it. Timescale should be urgent as the things we are trying to
record have a growing tendency to become extinct. Quality should always
be 100%. The only thing we can manage here (as is usual in such
projects) is Scope. Hence the above question.

If we could take a decision as to whether we will model everything then
we can start working on how we know when we have finished or what we
will leave out.

I hope you will excuse my rather blunt approach.

Roger

  Roger Hyam
  Biodiversity Informatics
  Independent Web Development
  http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
  2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
  T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847