[SEEK-Taxon] RE: GBIF and TCS-LC for data exchange

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:40:18 PST 2005

Hi Rich,

I agree that email lists are far easier to follow, so I think an email
list for this discussion is a good idea.  Personally I think seek-taxon
is a fine place for these sorts of discussions, as the main emphasis of
seek-taxon is producing the TCS and the relationship between LC and TCS
is so tight.  However, we also run many email lists and I could easily
set up a list specifically for LC in a few minutes if that were deemed a
better alternative.  Please just let me know.

I do think wiki's play a role though (we use them in SEEK).  With a
Wiki, I think it is easier to consolidate information and present the
'current' view of an idea or topic.  We use them to distill the essence
of emailand other conversations into design documents.  I think it woud
be positive if somebody kept abrest of the issues and kept one of the
wikis (SEEK-taxon, TCS, LC, or other) up-to-date with the current
thought.  This allows greater forward progress, as email threads
eventualy are lost and forgotten.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu