[SEEK-Taxon] GBIF and TCS-LC for data exchange

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Mon Feb 28 01:10:11 PST 2005

As most of you are aware, GBIF needs a solution (in the very near future) to
allow its participants to share taxonomic name/concept data in the same way
that they have been using DiGIR and BioCASe to share taxon occurrence data.

We have decided to try to make progress using the kind of approach I
outlined during the TDWG meeting in Christchurch.  We hope to develop a
TAPIR (DiGIR/BioCASe) package for sharing these data as Taxon Concept Schema
documents (at the same time providing support for requests using the Species
2000 SPICE protocol).

We have contracted Roger Hyam (roger at hyam.net) to act as GBIF Taxonomic
Name/Concept Lead Developer.  He will coordinate this development on behalf
of the GBIF Secretariat and I would be most grateful if you would provide
him with all the assistance you can.

The first step in making this possible will be for us to identify a version
of the Taxon Concept Schema (with the Linnean Core for the scientific name
component) that will be suitable (i.e. sufficiently well agreed) for this
purpose.  I know the effort and level of discussion that many of you have
been putting into the development of the TCS and Linnean Core, and now would
like your help in determining the best way to reach agreement upon a working
version of the schema.  This is not to try to freeze the standards
development, but rather to use whatever already seems stable to make
progress with tools.

Roger spent time with me last week looking at the current versions of TCS
and LC on the Wikis (and comparing content with the Species 2000 Common Data
Model).  I'm attaching some of our notes (which relate mostly to how we
expect a combined TCS-LC version to look).  We'd like to get some discussion
on some of the points.  I assume that the best way to do this will be for us
to raise individual points in each of the Wikis.

More than anything else I am looking for suggestions as to how and when you
all think we can bring the continuing LC work together with the TCS work and
then review a combined version (presumably also picking up some UBIF
metadata elements).

We welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480