[seek-taxon] TCS help: Placeholder question (tentative version for ConceptMapper)

Robert Liu robertliu325 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 06:49:20 PST 2005

Michael & Bob:

  Thank you for your comments. I have added a field to the reference table to hold the whole reference. I think it is good for user to have an option to enter a reference as a whole string instead of parsing it out into separate components.

  Xianhua

Michael Lee <mikelee at email.unc.edu> wrote:
  Xianhua,

The key difference VegBank made was in adding a somewhat redundant field
called fullText.

http://vegbank.org/vegdocs/dbdictionary/dd~table~reference~field~fulltext~type~tableview.html

This was to allow capturing of the full reference text, which EML did not
explicitly allow (putting it together from the various fields should work,
though). We exchange data with others who store data in this aggregated
format, and this field seemed necessary to avoid requiring a person to
parse each reference into the component fields.

So we prefer that our references be parsed, but allow for them to arrive
unparsed if that's all we can get. This gets into the murky waters of
ideal data and storage format versus trying to store what really is and
has been collected. Some standards should include only the former,
like guidelines for collecting new data, while others may strive to
include both.

cheers,
michael
Michael Lee