[seek-taxon] double references in TCS?

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Fri Apr 22 06:29:41 PDT 2005

Hi Jessie,

In parsing the FNA data we have discovered that sometimes there will be
more than one reference associated with the original publication of a
name.  In particular, there are around 175 generic names in FNA where the
original publication has a dual reference of Linnaeus Species Plantarum
1753 and Linnaeus Genera Plantarum 1754.  This case follows from a
specific provision in the code [13.4.  "Generic names which appear in
Linnaeus's Species plantarum, ed. 1 (1753) and ed. 2 (1762-1763), are
associated with the first subsequent description given under those names
in Linnaeus's Genera plantarum, ed. 5 (1754) and ed. 6 (1764)."] We might
be able to create a pseudoreference which is a composite for this
particular case.

We found two other one-time dual references in FNA:
1. Corydalis crystallina.  (Torrey & A. Gray) A. Gray.  Manual ed. 5. 62.
1867; Bot. Gaz. 11: 189. 1886.
2. Muehlenbeckia.  Meisner.  Pl. Vasc. Gen. 1: 316; 2: 227. 1841.

These observations lead us to ask whether TCS should support multiple
simultaneous references for a specific concept.  I don't really like this,
but perhaps the flexibility should be built in.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Best,
Bob

 Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
 Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
 University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
 Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

             http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/