[seek-taxon] draft of primer for Albuquerque interview session - urgent, please comment today!

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:47:08 PDT 2005

Hi Nico

First, is Riddle coming?  I never received any kind of confirmation of that.
If so we need to plan and schedule accordingly.

Back to the primer . . . Thanks for getting this out Nico.  It definitely
looks like you put a lot of work into it.  I really like the first section
and even though I don't have all the subject matter expertise, the first
section was highly informative and helped to clarify things quite nicely.

What I still need, and this can be included or not in the primer, is a
scenario or use case I can use to walk through with Kate to do the task
analysis and as a foundation for a paper prototyping session.  Although is
that partially your intention with the "homework" you seem to be assigning
to the user(s) in the prep section?  If so I need a bit more details on
this.

I'm a bit leery of introducing those examples of how other people have
related concepts since I would prefer to know how Kate has organized her
thinking on relating concepts without exposure to other ways.

Example A uses a six-part mathematical relationship approach.

Example B uses a "level and attribute" approach.

Example C uses a "less granular" type of relationship approach -- any kind
of relationship, supplemental kind of relationship and composite kind of
relationship.

But at least with different examples we won't be biasing her to only one way
of thinking and it may help her solidify her own thoughts on relating
concepts.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office