[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LinneanCore Group Work

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Mon Nov 15 10:55:18 PST 2004

Just a few point to chew over ;-)

(1) - Taxonomy is a prerequisite to any nomenclatural novelty thus most
nomenclatural novelties are based on prior taxonomic concepts - a nom.nov.
to replace an illegitimate name in the same genus with only the holotype
representing the species has no changed concept (agreed?) - it might,
however, have a different set of characters used to circumscribe the taxon
or new characters may have been discovered which were previously overlooked.
Some might interpret this as a changed concept - perhaps it is, but there is
no part of the Code (ICBN) which says I must cite specimens, descriptions or
whatever when I introduce this nom.nov. so under those circumstances how
would a new concept be described? It would be a naked name usage, as most
name usages are, outside the narrow field of systematics.

(2) - Another 'event' to consider; see:
http://82.43.123.182/IndexFungorum/Names/SynSpecies.asp?RecordID=415945 and
http://82.43.123.182/IndexFungorum/Names/NamesRecord.asp?RecordID=462939

A comb.nov. and a misapplication in the same publication.

(3) - w.r.t. names based on single specimens being "effectively useless
constructs" - I'm told that half the names in zoology are based on single
specimens. Just an observation.

(4) - I'm now not sure whether the Glossary of Terms in Bionomenclature will
help our deliberation. However, I promised to make it available so here it
is - see:

http://82.43.123.182/LibriFungorum/SearchResult.asp?ItemID=9

please DO NOT advertise this unofficial site as it's not complete, the
external 'contributors' have not been contacted and there is some more
content to add.

Cheers,

Paul