[SEEK-Taxon] RE: LinneanCore Group Work

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Sat Nov 13 05:14:51 PST 2004

[Kennedy, Jessie] Hi Nico,

Question 1: I recently submitted a paper in which, as a result of a genus-level analysis ("revision"), a species previously placed in its own genus now must be "sunk" into another. So Hypoleschus atratus Fall should now be called (according to me) Phyllotrox atratus (Fall). I don't specifically publish any reevaluation of identified (type) specimens, or species-specific descriptions in my paper. So would the "Hypoleschus atratus Fall is now a synonym of Phyllotrox atratus (Fall)" statement qualify as a strictly nomenclatural procedure? Please (Rich/Jessie/others) answer yes/no, and/or explain.
[Kennedy, Jessie] I don't think this is simply nomenclatural. the decision fo rthe move was a classifcation issue - whether or not you redescribed it, or changed the type specimen placement - it doesn't matter. At te end of hte day you placed it in a different genus which implies the circumscription of the genus you placed it in has changed and the cicumscription of the genus you removed it form has changed otherwise there is no reason (sensible in my mind) to move it fomr one genus to another.

Question 2: Of course there are cases in taxonomy where by "just going through the literature," one can see that things need to be renamed. In 1938 Hoffmann discovered that the name of his recently published new genus Pseudoderelomus had already been used (for another taxon) by Champion in 1910. So Hoffmann published another very brief note (like 3 phrases total) in which he renamed his new genus into Neoderelomus. There was certainly no mention of any types, other constituents, diagnoses, etc. in that tiny note. So is the "Pseudoderelomus (sec. Hoffmann) is a synonym of Neoderelomus (replacement name proposed by Hoffmann)" a strictly nomenclatural procedure? If yes, fine; if no, please (Rich) provide an example where this does apply. How strictly nomenclatural does one have to get?
[Kennedy, Jessie] I say yes - but in my terminology it would create a new concept with the same definititoin as his original Pseudoderelomus but now with the name Neoderelomus

Jessie