[SEEK-Taxon] Re: LinneanCore Group Work - PART 2

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Fri Nov 12 01:26:29 PST 2004

all,

Forgive me, it's early on a Friday after a long week ...

Am I right or wrong in thinking that TCS needs the author and
publication fields in its schema to document the author and
publication details of the _concept_. LC needs the author and
publication fields in _its_ schema to document the author and
publication details of the _name_(s.l.). When the TCS is
transferring data about original concepts (Aus bus Smith sensu
Smith) then that data ('Smith', Journal of Good Housekeeping or
whatever) will be duplicated. When the TCS is transferring data
about a new concept (Aus bus Smith sensu Brown) then the data
(Smith, Brown, Journal of Good Housekeeping, Goatbreeders
monthly) will be different.

Or is Jessie's point that the LC should not be passing the author
and publication information at all just some fields ('Aus', 'bus')? In
which case, in the second example, where does the 'Smith' bit go?

Or are we arguing about something different & I've missed the point
about where LC and TCS are starting to overlap?

examples needed ...

Sally

*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk