[SEEK-Taxon] Linnaean Core Schema

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Nov 10 12:09:00 PST 2004

Hi Trevor,

I don't have time this morning to respond in detail, but I thought I'd
better jump in before the misunderstandings inflate even more.

RE: the spelling of "LinneanCore", see:
http://efgblade.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/LinneanCoreChoiceOfName

RE: Schema version 0.1.4 (note the leading "0.") -- it would be foolish for
anyone to view this as anything more than a scratch-pad to hash-out and
communicate ideas about nomenclatural information.  I hesitate to refer to
this even as a "Draft", because so far, we've only really discussed the
items above "AuthorsTaxonOrthograpy" -- everything below that is legacy
stuff from before the current round of discussion.  Much of it will be
deleted either because it is dealt with in elements above
"AuthorsTaxonOrthograpy", or because it belongs in TCS, outside of LC.

RE: Conflation on name representation and 'concept' type stuff:  Please read
the message I sent to this list in response to Dave V.'s inquiry.  If you
didn't receive it, or if you would like me to elaborate further, please let
me know.  Very briefly: TCS has no native name structure -- it borrowed a
name structure from ABCD. LC is simply an effort to come up with an
alternative to the ABCD names structure, that will both meet the needs of
nomenclators (which the ABCD structure does not), and serve the identical
function as the ABCD "NameDetailed" section of TCS. If you have comments or
concerns about the relationship between LC & TCS, I would urge you to voice
them here:
http://efgblade.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/LinneanCoreTCSInteraction

RE: "Alexandria" Core:  I don't know where this term came from (not LC).  At
the TDWG meeting in Christchurch, the "tongue-in-cheek" label for the same
thing was "Gutenberg Core".  Nobody is taking the name seriously -- but what
seemed to be universally agreed-to in Christchurch is that the Biodiversity
community *needs* some sort of schema to represent publication and
unpublished documentation information.  It was agreed that what the Library
community has already in place is far too extensive to be of practical value
to the biodiversity community. It is not the job of LC to develop this
schema, nor is it the job of the TCS group.  However both groups need to be
able to represent Publication/Reference information via some sort of schema,
and the world would be a much better place if both groups embraced the same
schema. For the moment, UBIF has a draft schema that was shown and discussed
at Christchurch.  It is now embedded within the "pre-draft" LC schema, and a
discussion page was set up here:
http://efgblade.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/AlexandriaCore

It is very clear to me that TCS and LC *should* be complementary, and would
together constitute a robust schema (with LC embedded within the "Name"
element of TCS) that will meet the needs of all taxonomists.  At the moment,
neither TCS (in its current form), nor LC (by itself -- even after it is
fully developed) achieves this. With better mutual understanding and
communication between the TCS group and LC group, I have high confidence
that together we will succeed.

Aloha,
Rich

P.S. O.K., so maybe that was more detail than I originally intended; but
those of you who know my email-writing style will agree that I'm capable of
much, much longer diatribes! :-)

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Natural Sciences Database Coordinator, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
http://www.sorryeverybody.com