[SEEK-Taxon] guids

Nico M. Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon May 24 12:33:48 PDT 2004

Hi Rich:

    I'll jump in. You seem to be mixing up things when you say "new" and
"different." In a shallow sense, the subsequently invoked concept is new
just by virtue of having a different time stamp. In a deep sense, the
added-on information may or may not represent something that the author
"came up with" and that wasn't there before.

    But what if he or she entered a reference incorrectly as part of the
original concept package? Surely there's a sense of "newness" here, i.e.
the new recognition of an earlier typo. Still I'd say that's unrelated to
taxonomy proper and would call for versioning of one and the same concept,
even and particularly in the shallow sense. If on the other hand we have a
statement in a different publication, at a different time, with the same or
different circumscription content, there'd be a new (a least shallowly
speaking) core entry in the database. That entry could be versioned too if
it was transferred with unfortunate mistakes or incompleteness.

    The key distinction here is whether the "later recognition" to change
something addresses taxonomic or more mechanical, string-transporting
issues. In the later case, I believe we're tending towards versioning; in
the former, separate concepts that should then be somehow related to each
other.

Cheers,

Nico