[SEEK-Taxon] Re: GUID

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Mar 12 19:51:39 PST 2004

Rich and all,

I'd like to make clear my original question: What is expected
as terget of GUID?  If a GUID is designed to be given to a potential
taxon (name-sensu-citation triplet), why do we need yet-anotehr ID
although we have the triplet?  Encoding mechanism of the triplet is
rather detail issue.  If we think that GUID more than triplet is
necessary, I guess that we are thinking of something beyond a
potential taxon.  Rich's

> I see the value in an arbitrary GUID system as metaphorically a common "flag
> pole" around which all datasets can rally.

sounds so at least for me.  I do not insist to concatinated text
itself.  I don't think we can choose an appropriate  GUID system
without understanding the target object to be identified by the ID.

Cheers,
James