[SEEK-Taxon] Re: first cut at guid decision document

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Mar 11 13:55:02 PST 2004

Dear David,

GUID issue is bit unclear for me.
As you wrote in the document, a taxon concept can be specified by
combination of a name, a name authority and a citation including
publication (here I ignore detail of each components).
The combination of them, e.g. a string concatinated with '_', seems
sufficiently unique.  Why do we need more than it?
The above combination is a potential taxon rather than a taxon
cocnept.  Are you talking about identifier of the taxon concept
instead of potential taxa?  Multiple potential taxa may be
'equivalent' to a taxon concept (may be specified by Jessie's
'circumscription' triplet), and hence the name_sensu_citation
style potential taxon ID isn't unique to the taxon concept.

Fluctuation in spellings especially in authority (e.g. L., Linne or
Linnaeus) is another issue to be specified, I think.
Locating resource of a potential taxon data in the Network is also
another issue; multiple sources databases may retain the same
potential taxon.

I may miss something obvious to SEEK-Taxon team...

Cheers,
James
--
Dr. Nozomi "James" Ytow
Institute of Biological Sciences / Gene research center