[SEEK-Taxon] Taxon Exchange Schema and GUIDs

Nico M. Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 15 12:10:29 PDT 2004

Hi SEEKsters:

    I tried to edit the html too, my comments (there, not here) are in
blue. A few more comments are below. This is tough stuff, so we shouldn't
be too hard on ourselves if a perfect solution isn't immediately apparent.

Cheers,

Nico

At 03:14 PM 6/15/2004 +0100, Kennedy, Jessie wrote:
>Hi Folks
>
>You'll probably have seen my reply to Aimee by now...so just to say I'm
>not yet convinced we should have GUIDs for edges as a general approach to
>the problem.
>
>The basic reason is I would expect things that have GUIDs to be meaingful
>real world entities that we wish to refer to. I'm not sure that we want to
>identify every relationship between concepts as things of importance in
>their own right.

GUIDs could have an additional function, i.e. to label someone's
"intellectual contribution" (for a high-flying term) uniquely and
permanently. Think of them as candy for taxonomists. Under that additional
reading, it makes sense to assign a GUID to an isolated task of an expert
connecting concepts, i.e. authoring the connection, and receiving a GUID
for the effort. This is especially important because making the connections
is one of the key services the digital environment can provide over the
print environment.

>So sorry for the lack of discussion on the GUID issue earlier but I guess
>we have to discuss this further in the context of what constitutes a concept.
See my comments in the html.