[SEEK-Taxon] some notes on digital object identifiers

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 18 08:38:14 PST 2003

Hey Dave,

I've looked at DOIs in particular for SEEK and earlier for Metacat
development.  They hit all of the right points in terms of indirection,
but miss a few other important features: 1) they are far too expensive,
  2) they aren't human readable and have a restrictive syntax, and 3)
they require a semi-proprietary lookup mechanism.

An alternative that provides the same functionality is the Open Grid
Services Architecture Grid (OGSA) Grid Service Handle (GSH).  A GSH is
an abstract identifier for an object without location semantics, and
takes the form of a URI.  The GSH is resolved by a Grid HandleResolver
into one or more actualy physical locations called Grid Service
References (GSR), which are also URIs.  These services are "free" with
the installation of grid software like the Globus Toolkit, and are
non-proprietary.

The EcoGrid group is using the GSH/GSR mechanism to identify and locate
data objects in the grid as well as identify and locate Grid Service
instances (such as the EcoGrid Query servers, and computational services
such as Garp).  We've been discussing the exact format of the URIs we'll
be using for our handles, and so far are thinking of something along
these lines, although its not final:
ecogrid://some.registered.institution/identifier/subid/subid/...

If the taxon name services are going to be integrated as grid services,
you'll need to support the GSH mechanism at least in terms of
registering the name service nodes.  It might make sense to extend it
further for your uses.

Hope this helps.
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu