[SEEK-Taxon] Seek-taxon meeting dates

Robert K. Peet peet at unc.edu
Thu Nov 6 15:22:22 PST 2003

I have looked into meeting times for SEEK-TAXON.

To recap the earlier discussion.
Matt is available any time in January except 11-15.
I am available any time except 12-16
Jessie is available 17-28 (but this includes travel days)
Susan finds Jan 24 particularly difficult, but is willing to accommodate.

I am looking at 5-day blocks, recognizing that we may well wish to drop
back to 4.

Here are the current options.

January 18-22.
NCEAS is already booked so we have no venue yet established.
There is always the possibility of renting some other facility for the
18-22, but it is a hassle for NCEAS staff and is more expensive, and it is
not certain that this is possible (though it would certainly be possible
if we moved away from Santa Barbara).

January 23-28.
I have spoken with Gail at NCEAS. If we meet there we can have the large
meeting room for Jan 23-28.  I have booked this and promised Gail that I
will get back to her with confirmation in a day or two.  Perhaps Jessie
would not be available on the 28 because of her need to travel that day,
but 5 days is plenty.  This does have the downside of spanning a weekend.

January 30-February 9.
The BEAM and KR groups are meeting at Sevilleta (near Albuquerque, NM) Feb
2-6.  There is room there for us to meet with them, or to meet immediately
before or after.  Jim Michener thinks this would be a good idea. Matt
Jones would prefer there to be no overlap so that he can attend both, but
also for the total length of the combined meetings to not be more than a
week or so.  Jessie initially indicated availability through Jan 28, but
perhaps we did not ask her about February.

!! Please let me know ASAP your ability to participate with each of these
options, and your rank-ordered preferences!!

When I discussed our meeting with Gail at NCEAS, she asked how many of us
there would be.  Below is my current understanding of the composition of
our working group and likely guests.  If you can improve this list, or
clarify likely participation, please let me know.

Jim Beach  			<beach at ku.edu>
Shawn Bowers (Guest)  		<bowers at sdsc.edu>
Nico Franz  			<NMF2 at cornell.edu>
Robert Gales  			<rgales at eecs.ku.edu>
Susan Gauch  			<sgauch at ku.edu>
Paul Huddleston (unavailable)  	<paula.huddleston at usda.gov>
Matt Jones  			<jones at nceas.ncsu.edu>
Jessie Kennedy  		<J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk>
Xianhua Liu  			<robertliu325 at yahoo.com>
Bertram Ludaescher (Guest)  	<ludaesch at sdsc.edu>
Robert Peet   			<peet at unc.edu>
Martin Pullan  			<m.pullan at rbge.org.uk>
Hanu Saarenmaa  		<hsaarenmaa at gbif.org>
Aimee Stewart  			<astewart at ku.edu
Dave Thau  			<thau at learningsite.com>
Dave Vieglais  			<vieglais at ku.edu>
Mark Anderson (Guest)		<anderson at nceas.ucsb.edu>
Susan's Grad Student  		??

Best,
Bob

 Robert K. Peet, Professor              Phone:  919-962-6942
 Department of Biology, CB#3280         Fax:    919-962-6930
 University of North Carolina           Cell:   919-368-4971
 Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3280  USA       Email:  peet at unc.edu

             http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/peet/