[seek-taxon] TDWG 2003 Meeting and SEEK Taxon Working Group

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Wed Aug 13 11:51:44 PDT 2003

Dear Stan --

In a teleconference today the SEEK Taxon working group decided to hold it's
October meeting in Portugal in conjunction with the TDWG 2003 annual
meeting.  In addition to the benefits of interacting with other projects at
TDWG we are specifically interested in participating in the TDWG names
subgroup meeting scheduled for October 23rd.  We would also like to ask you
to help us secure a small room for two days for our own SEEK taxon working
group meeting on October 24 and 25.

This is the current list of likely attendees from the SEEK Project:

1) Jesse Kennedy, Napier
2) Robert Peet, UNC
3) Aimee Stewart, KU
4) Susan Gauch, KU
5) Robert Gales, KU
6) Joana Trajkova, KU
7) Jim Beach, KU
8) Unidentified SEEK taxon postdoc, UNC
9) Hannu Saarenmaa (I believe will already be there on behalf of GBIF.)

Dave Vieglais and Matt Jones will not be attending but will hold down the
fort at the simultaneous SEEK developer's meeting in Santa Barbara.

Most of us will arrive 21st or 22nd in morning and depart on the 26th or
27th.

We're looking forward to talking about the SEEK approach and to seeing what
kinds of collaborations might be possible with other projects dealing with
concepts and names.

Two requests:

1) please have the local organizer when he returns identify a room for 10-15
people for the Taxon WG meetings on the 24th and 25th.
2) would you kindly keep us informed as to meeting logistics and
arrangements, hotel information, local travel guidance, etc.

Many thanks,

Jim

PS: I will be out of the country for two weeks, would you keep in touch with
Susan Gauch (sgauch at ku.edu) and Jesse Kennedy (j.kennedy at napier.ac.uk)
during that time as information becomes available on the TDWG meeting?  They
can forward mail to the SEEK-Taxon mailing list.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center
University of Kansas
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard