[seek-taxon] FW: SEEK versus TDWG

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Mon Aug 11 12:00:18 PDT 2003

 fyi

--------------------------------
James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center
University of Kansas
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Tel: 785 864-4645, Fax: 785 864-5335
Televideocon: (H.323): 129.237.201.102

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan Blum [mailto:sblum at CalAcademy.Org]
Sent: 11 August, 2003 1:57 PM
To: Beach, James H
Subject: RE: SEEK versus TDWG

Hi Jim,

I do understand the wisdom of scheduling first, but of course, it's also
impractical to know all of the relevant, potentially conflicting, events
more than a year in advance.  So it goes...

At 01:10 PM 8/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Did you say that if several of the SEEK Taxon WG people were able to
>make TDWG that we would likely be able to find a room to meet for a day
>or two among ourselves with visitors in addition to the TDWG
>activities?  Which dates do you think would be available for us to do
>that?  On either side of TDWG?  During?

I don't remember what I said; I probably couldn't have said anything
substantive because I didn't really know.  I do know a bit more now, at
least about the hotel.

http://www.maisturismo.pt/aapmar  (English)
http://www.almeidahotels.com/praiamar_pt.htm (Portuguese)

The hotel should have a meeting room available for either no charge or a
small charge (given that we will be bringing in at least 100 guests for a
4-5 days).  The Gulbenkian institute for Science
http://www.igc.gulbenkian.pt (our hosts) might also have a small conference
room that could be booked for some amount of time (e.g., a full day or two
half days), but I would need to check into that.  Unfortunately, Pedro
Fernandes, our local host/organizer has joined the rest of Europe on
vacation for a good portion of August.  I won't be able to get a specific
answer until later this month.  Do let me know if you want to inquire about
a particular day.

Bottom line:  I'm sure that you could get a room for SEEK people to meet
in, for as long as you need it -- either at the hotel or the IGC.

-Stan