[seek-kr] ontology figure from abq

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Sep 7 19:30:16 PDT 2003

Rich,
    I have been in vacation and just got around to noticing your
comments. The process that you describe is used lots of places in
theoretical physics where sets of equations are almost always put in
dimensionless forms (with the Reynolds number of fluid dynamics being a
good example. At least some ecologists seem to use this technique also;
an example is in the book "Ecological Dynamics" by W.S.C. Gurney and
R.M. Nisbet (Oxford Press - 1998) which has a chapter entitled
"Dimensional Analysis and Scaling"

Dan