[seek-kr] Re: SCISW03 Paper Submission

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:13:59 PDT 2003

Shawn,

Thanks for the draft.  Interesting stuff.  I'm really psyched to start
digging in this area.  We proposed several years ago to put 'semantic
tags' onto data data table attributes in order to enable ontology-based
searches (see
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/nceas-web/projects/2841/marine-data-forweb.pdf
and look at section C.2.4).  This is the award under which we got into
developing the EML unit dictionary, but haven't gotten to do the
higher-level semantic classifications yet.  But boy we'd like to.  Your
paper pretty much hits our goals head-on.  Now that you've described it,
all we have to do is implement it in a seamless system that works for
scientists :)

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara