[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Wed Jun 21 21:31:12 PDT 2006

Expecting to become more informed than informant, and being a visitor, I
will briefly offer the context in which I eagerly follow the discussion
about observations. It surrounds the ontology of digital images. If
these are distractions long ago covered in your discussions, please
forgive me and point me at those if possible.

[Images as observation sets: Events vs. outcomes; instrument calibration]
I believe one could call a digital image  a set of spatially and
temporally correlated observations. Most modern cameras automatically
record metadata about the capture event  such as time and date, focal
length, etc., and even GPS coordinates in some cases. In one view, an
image is a set of measurements at discrete spatial intervals of stuff
about the reflectance spectra of objects in the world. Furthermore, with
enough digging in engineering specifications usually available from the
manufacturer, it is even possible to know in detail the camera's
methodology for assigning its measurement values. This involves a set of
nonlinear functions of wavelength(plus a quantization algorithm), and
are thus(?) probably beyond OWL. Maybe. But in the case of color, there
are three internationally agreed upon particular such functions which
serve as the basis of a three-dimensional color space (the CIE XYZ
coordinate space) of such functions  For a particular device, the device
manufacturer enshrines three coordinates of the transfer functions in
some published metadata called the ICC Color Profile. (Well, they
publish the \design/ coordinates. If you are really picky, you calibrate
your device by \measuring/ the \device/ characteristics before you
measure the world's characteristics. Where does instrument calibration
fit in a measurement ontology???).

[Color as an observation; type specimens for colors]
Fernando remarked "I'd be
interested to see examples of how color could be defined/described as a
special kind of observation." One answer is that spectral
distributions---one standard form of color as an observation---can also
be defined in the CIE XYZ coordinate system and so given by three
numbers- the coordinates in the standard XYZ basis. The problem is that
this particular space is defined by properties of human color vision
(namely color matching properties) and as I remarked in earlier post, it
is usually difficult to compare it to other models. So Fernando's
challenge can only be answered accompanied by "what is it that you are
trying to do with the colors you observe?"---a kind of fitness for
purpose question which, I suppose, pervades all observations based on a
model. SFor any Observation, if you can't also express fitness for
purpose, it is seems to me you are left with very little ability to do
anything with Observations but compare them to others made to the same
model.

Maybe an abstract spectral distribution isn't an observation. But
particular ones, e.g. the reflectance spectra of things in the world
are. So one could say that the reflectance spectra of some particular
thing defines some color, much as taxonomists say that the type specimen
defines the specimen, despite phenotypic variation. In fact, this is the
foundation of many color models, e.g. the highly standardized Munsell
and Pantone color systems.

[Picture of what? Color of what?]
The thing we are really struggling with in work on LSID resolution for
images is exactly what should be regarded as the data of a digital
image. To me, it's not helpful to say that the data are the numbers the
device offers you, even in the face of good knowledge of the transfer
functions. That's because, in the final analysis, those numbers are an
\encoding/ of the Observation. I find no merit to saying that two image
representations that are losslessly convertible to one another represent
two different Observations, any more than one would say that data
expressed in kilometers defines a different Observation from the same
data expressed in meters. So I am hoping that OBOE will offer me
insights into this problem, or show me why it isn't a problem.   Some
disagree with me and assert that if a measuring device has units, the
data expressed in those units is the only data. Everything else is an
artifact. As a recovering algebraist, I'd really like to say that a
picture is an equivalence class of all the things that can be losslessly
converted to and from the one the capture device gave me. I don't know
how to say that digitally.

Bob Morris

p.s. Computational neuroscience attempts to make similar models for all
sensory (i.e. human observed) data. I don't know if there are presently
any international standards for representations of smell, touch, taste,
and sound as there are for vision, but I suppose this doesn't matter if
one can appropriately define the model against which measurements are
taken. Surely this is a standard problem for those who model any kind of
Observation in finite-dimensional spaces of non-linear continuous functions.

Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram