[seek-kr-sms] OBOE discussion: current version

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 15:33:49 PDT 2006

Hi Folks

I've been following your recent discussion with interest (although not
as fully as I'd like). As Bob Morris noted, TDWG are working on similar
stuff. In addition to the specific SDD work on colours and descriptions
I've been working with some members of the different TDWG subgroups to
try and define a core ontology for TDWG. We started from the work on
standards from the specimen based groups (Darwin Core and ABCD), the
Taxon names ands concepts group (TCS) and from the Descriptions group
(SDD), in addition the geospatial group with Read Beaman will be
contributing.

The interesting thing is that everyone is talking about observations,
and of course there are many interpretations of what an observation
means (as has also been exemplified on this list). We had events
initially in our base ontology from which things like observation were
subclassed but now we've gone for modelling the observation record
rather than the event, in a similar way to is being discussed here,
however we've not got into measurements side as much as you have. If
you're interested in where we've got to with our model (using UML for
the time being for communicating our understanding on our wiki) please
have a look at the TDWG ontology pages

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/TDWGOntology

We talked about observations as being a record of an identification to a
taxon concept (possibly any concept) by someone at a given place and
time  (and it may have an associated measurement like a count but we
haven't put that in the core as we didn't think it was fundamental to an
observation maybe we should?). Observations may have associated
gatherings (which can be independent from observation - again debatable
by some) if a specimen is collected. The specimen may of course have
descriptions taken about it (measurements of different kinds) and may be
located in an collection somewhere. I was quite happy with the
observation not being a thing (like a specimen) but you seem to be
talking about taking measurements of an observation... is this a
measurement of a specimen in the field that isn't collected as a
voucher? Is it an aggregate measurement such as the average of a
population in the field, or an average of say the length of the leaves
on a specimen in the field? Do the differences between these thing
smatter? I'd be interested to hear more about what you think an
observation is...whatever I think we have to be clear what we mean
because we could generalise it so much it could be anything we want it
to be.

We've been trying to segment the existing standards as much as possible
to try and determine the general classes being reused by the different
schemas to offer as much reusability as possible. In trying to get
agreement we quickly realised that as soon as we started putting
properties on classes people would start to disagree with the definition
of the class so we opted for putting a gloss on the class (this needs
updated in the current version) and only defining possible relationships
between classes (to give more sense to our meaning of the class).
Depending on which of our user community we viewed things from would
change whether or not a particular relationship was seen to be
fundamental to the class or not. So we've kept it minimal, but
multi-purpose I hope.

We're going to use the ontology in a mini project over the summer to try
and convert an existing data provider's data to RDF using LSIDs to cross
reference between the objects. We will extend the bdicore ontology to a
domain ontology required for this purpose.

Re your discussion on quantitative and qualitative measurements, in our
work on plant description ontology we had structure-property-value-unit
for quantitative measurements and structure-property-state for
qualitative descriptions.

But we had other mechanisms for dealing with more complex 'measurements
such as ratios e.g leaf length to width.

Well I'd love to talk more about this with you guys but have too many
other things just now - most pressing is going off on holiday for a
break :-)

Look forward to catching up with you when I get back...

Jessie