[seek-kr-sms] running growl from CVS

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Fri Feb 25 13:50:56 PST 2005

Hi Matt,
Sorry for the mess with the code and docs. We intended to clean it
before the beta release. At this point we are still in the stage of
alpha.

Both Rich and I are fans of nice IDEs, e.g. Eclipse or NetBeans and as a
consequence we did not use any separate utility for building project. If
you do not use eclipse or NB then we have to think how to port GrOWL to
your type of project. My impression however was that most of us who do
java use eclipse.

If you have eclipse then compiling with GrOWL/Jena is easy (comparing to
compiling GrOWL?OWLAPI):
1. Install Jena, or have (ALL)Jena jars ready
2.If you are using eclipse CVS check out directory
kr-sms/ontobrowser/src:
right click on it, select Check Out As, select Java Project and go
through the steps that the wizards offer. Assume that the project name
you selected is "ontobrowser"
If using external CVS , get the code and create new project e.g.
"ontobrowser" using directory kr-sms/ontobrowser/src as top directory of
the project.

3. Project will be compiled with  many errors. Get to the "property
dialog "of the project "ontobrowser" (for this one can right click on
the project, select "properties" from the bottom of popup menu, or
select the project in the explorer and then go to Menu: Project |
Properties)
In the property dialog click on Java Build Path (on the left). Then
select pane Libraries, then click button AddExternal Jars and add ALL
jena jars to the project.
After this project should compile. There will be  still errors in the
code related to OWLAPI part, and in the old code, but these are
negligible.

4. To execute: in package explorer  select
org/ecoinformatics/seek/growl/editor/GrowlEditor.java
then in menu Run select: Run As | Java Application

If you use NetBeans , use kr-sms/ontobrowser/src as a mount point for
code,
Add the same external jars of Jena.

Please let me know if more detailed description could be more useful.

At the moment browsing of large ontologies is not really great.  I am
working on graphic  filters that would allow to select a class and view
separately a)its definition, b)its instances, c) references to this
class  etc . After this is done (by next week) browsing of large
ontologies will be easy.

serguei