[Seek-kr-sms] [seek-kr-sms] peer-to-peer ontology editing using jxta

Peter McCartney peter.mccartney at asu.edu
Fri Apr 1 09:29:58 PST 2005

Ferdinando

it took me a while to get around to responding to this but here goes.
what you are saying seems to be right on target with the LTER community.
WE have had some disucssions that suggest that people see strong
advantages to adopting knowledge representation simply to provide a
common library of measurement types, even if they are not articulated
into an ontology that supports all the promised semantic mediation etc.
People are very frustrated at putting lots of effort into EML yet still
not being able to define their data in any meaningful way based on
shared concepts. We are having a workshop in montreal at our august
meeting to start laying the groundwork for how LTER IMs can start
contributing their measurement ontologies.  A simple online entry system
would be great for jumpstarting a community effort in this.

depending on the dates and funding, would you be interested in attending
this?

alu