[seek-kr-sms] Loading ontologies without internet connectivity

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Tue Nov 23 08:52:13 PST 2004

I am having some problems with GrOWL and Jena with Rich's Ontologies
when there is no internet connectivity.  And I was wondering if anyone
had run into this, or had ideas on how to fix this ...

When I am not connected to the internet, and I try to load an ontology
such as Ecological Concepts, GrOWL dies.  Jena also has problems. In
particular, all of the concepts such as EcoOntThing that are from an
imported ontology become problematic.  For example, exceptions are
thrown if these are treated as OntClass instances or if imported
properties are treated as OntProperty instances.

One solution to this problem might be to import local files instead of
from URLs.  Does anyone have any other solutions?

In general, I think we might want to have a more self-contained and
possibly thematic organization to the SEEK ontologies.  Rich, have you
thought about how best to organize what you've done? Or, is the current
organization your preferred approach?

Shawn