[seek-kr-sms] Taxon/KR integration prototype proposal

Robert A. Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Wed Mar 31 06:13:54 PST 2004

Minor point from a lurker:

In the prototype proposal, you write:

To answer these questions, the researcher must gather and use several
pieces of information, including:

•	information about taxa (e.g., what are the non-human primates?);
•	information about geography (e.g., where is South America?);
•	information about environmental properties (e.g., climate);
•	information about ecological interactions (e.g., what types of
parasitic relationships exist between ants);
•	and real data (e.g., climate data sets and presence/absence data sets).

The third bullet (information about environmental properties) is not a
pre-requisite to answering the sample questions, but rather an artifact
of the particular predictive tool (GARP) that gets offered by the
hypothetical system. Later, in the step-by-step the issue rearises where
it needn't. Namely in step 4, all except 4c ("select [stuff related to
GARP]") could meaningfully be accomplished before a choice of analytical
engine.

In other words, I think it is possible to distinguish choices to be made
before the modeling tools are chosen from those arising as a consequence
  of that choice. Thus in the introduction quoted above, "[choose]
information about environmental properties" represents something to be
done /after/ the modeling regime is selected, whereas the other bullets
represent issues that could (must?) be resolved /before/ it is selected.
 From an engineering point of view, I guess that distinction will need
to be reflected in the architecture.

I'm not close enough other than to speculate that it's possible SEEKers
are overfocused on GARP, and that GARP's way of doing business sometimes
intrudes on the generalities. (Oops. Self-invited visitor waggles finger
at admired hosts. Sorry.)

--
Robert A. Morris, Professor of Computer Science
University of Massachusetts at Boston