[seek-kr-sms] growl: owl-dl or owl full?!

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 10 11:24:53 PDT 2004

(I want to clarify that OWL is not necessarily stored in XML - the XML-RDF
syntax is just the most commonly chosen syntax.  You can store OWL (and RDF)
in much less-verbose, non-XML syntaxes.)

I agree that non-OWL-DL constructs should be avoided.  The extreme
flexibility of RDF and OWL-Full will make generic OWL-Full tools extremely
difficult to develop.  So far, the main thing that I have wanted to do that
is outside OWL-DL is to have a property that takes a class as its value,
rather than a class instance.  This restriction in expressivity leads to
some rather inelegant hacks to work around it and remain in OWL-DL.  Another
frequent issue is the lack of value restrictions on datatype properties, but
I don't think that this is available in OWL-Full either.  (One solution is
to subtype the xml datatypes to restrict the range of permissable values,
but no tools yet support this).

While I use Protege, I would not claim that it has anything approaching an
optimal user inteface, and I think that good visualization tools could play
a role for the so-called knowledge engineer (knowledge-model engineer?).
None of the graphical tools that I have experimented with have been better
for me than the Protege tree and dialog-box based user interface, so that's
what I use.

As far as the GrOWL UI goes, I see no reason why it can't be like the user
interface of many commercial software packages, where both entry-level and
expert users are accomodated.  There could be an easily-accessible set of
commonly performed operations (creating subclasses, disjoint, object and
datatype properties, some basic property restrictions etc), and the full
expressivity of OWL-DL could also be available through "advanced" or "more"
buttons in dialogs.

Rich