[seek-kr-sms] growl: owl-dl or owl full?!

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Thu Jun 10 10:57:29 PDT 2004

 ...So, my overall suggestion, would be to figure out the necessary
constructs for the target user group (which I'd be happy to help with),
figure out how best to present these to the user (again, I'd be happy to

help with this), then figure out if it is representable in OWL-Lite,
OWL-DL (most likely), or OWL-Full (not likely).

Shawn

It would be really good to know all constructs that we need. May be each
of us, who does ontology or DL design may send   some references as one
encounter the constructs of importance. Of course we shall use subclass
of, instance of etc., the question is about more complex things. I'll be
saving these messages and eventually we shall summarize that.

My present questions however are more down to earth. For instance the
present growl editor (see cvs) allows to draw subclass-of arrow from an
instance to an instance or from a class to an instance. This is OK for
OWL-full or for F-Logic but not OK for OWL-Dl. Besides , present graphic
editor allows to do any wrong things, say-  is-a arrows from a datatype
to a datatype.   I am trying  to impose a very strict policy which would
not allow to do any wrong things.   The question is how strict it should
be? Ferdinando, Shawn and I seems concur that it should exclude also
owl-full constructs. Any other opinions?

serguei