[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL- Graphic OWL

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 24 15:41:03 PST 2004

Here are some issues that jump out at me.  Hopefully this will provoke
further discussion.  In general, OWL has a complex syntax, and many
ontological structures have more than one syntactic expression.  Right now,
ontobrowser is very close to the OWL syntax.  To be a user-friendly tool, it
needs to display commonly used constructs as simply and intuitively as
possible, while retaining the ability to get 'close to OWL' to permit
experienced users to access the full richness of the OWL language.  One way
to facilitate this would be to target GrOWL as a Protege plugin (yes, you've
probably heard me say this before!).  In this environment, GrOWL would
provide a broad overview of the ontology while the very rich Protege user
interface would facilitate detailed editing of OWL classes and properties.

On to issues in the current graph representation:

SLR is defined as the intersection of the Camera class and a restriction on
the value of the viewfinder property.  Without any further interpretation of
this definition, I think the display could be improved by labeling the
restriction class node with 'Restriction' rather than 'Anonymous'.  I think
this relabelling could sensibly apply to every place a restriction is
defined.

That being said, some fairly simple interpretation of the OWL code could
result in a clearer graph.  There are two components in the SLR definition
statement, a reference to the Camera class and a restriction.  This could
easily be converted to two subclass statements, one on the Camera class and
one on the restriction.  If this converted structure was displayed, I think
the graph would be more informative.  Note that the Protege OWL plugin
allows the user to move definition statements to subclass or restriction
statements and vice versa.  This reflects the fact that there might be other
circumstances where a class definition based on intersection of various
classes is the way the user is thinking about things.

The commonly used union in domain and range statements needs to be
suppressed from display to the user and instead be implicitly included by
the structure of the graph.  The onProperty part of a restriction
essentially locally extends to domain of the property to the class that the
restriction is subclassed from.  As much as possible, equivalent concepts
should be display equivalently, even when the OWL syntax has multiple
terminologies.  Other examples include the global range of a property and
class-local 'AllValuesFrom' restriction, which I think should look the same,
and the global FunctionalProperty and local cardinality = 1 restriction.

Another UI issue that needs to be addressed is how to display properties
given that a many classes can 'have-a' single property, expressed either
through the property domain statement or the restriction onProperty.  I
think that the property node should be repeated at each class that the
property is attached to.  In many cases, I think the details of the
restriction should be displayed in a 'detail' pane rather than within the
graph itself.  This might be too far outside the ontobrowser idiom of "the
graph is the knowledge model".  On the other hand, the ontobrowser knowledge
model already includes some things within relation nodes, like cardinality,
that are restriction classes (and therefore arguable separate graph nodes)
in OWL.

The physical layout of the graph is heavily influenced by the presence of
the shared nodes (string or float) attached to all the DataTypeProperty
nodes.  I'm not sure that the graph should display the type of
DataTypeProperty nodes.  Instead, these types could be displayed in a
'detail' pane when that node is selected.  If they are displayed in the
graph, I think they should be duplicated rather than shared across nodes.
This would permit some freedom in laying out the graph nodes that could
become more important in large graphs.

I find it hard to trace the class hierarchy, as the hierarchical structure
is not clearly reflected in the placement of the class nodes.  I wonder
whether explicitly including the grounding class (owl:thing) in the class
hierarchy graph would make things clearer.

Class nodes and instance nodes instances look the same.  I think they should
be differentiated by more than the extra : in the is-a link.  Perhaps the
instance nodes should have a different background color.  I also wonder
whether the is-a: and is-a:: is too subtle a distinction, and instead is-a:
should be instance-of or the like.

A minor detail - on my monitor, the combination of blue property node and
black text is hard to read and I couldn't find a way to change it.

Rich