[seek-kr-sms] property restrictions in growl

Rich Williams rwilliams at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 2 12:28:48 PDT 2004

> Do you mean that all syntax checkers you have used would require user to
> say "property P has domain C1 and range C2) before user  can  say
> something like
> (forall P C3)  or (>4 P C4) (????)

As far as I can tell, both Jena and OWLAPI require that a property be
declared before it is used.  So for example

  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="objProp"/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="Test1">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#objProp"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
        <owl:minCardinality
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        >2</owl:minCardinality>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>

is fine in both, but remove the first line and both complain.  So no need
for a domain and range specification, just a declaration of the property's
existence (which of course in OWL has an implicit range, since object and
data properties are differentiated).

Now for my 2-cents worth on this.  I think that when creating a property
restriction, the user interface should have a text box that incrementally
matches on the current (object or data) property names.  If the user types
in a non-existent property name, the editor should create the property, so
that it is in the list of known property names the next time a restriction
is created.  The owl file needs to be saved with a property declaration in
it, otherwise no known tool will be able to read it in.

> I understand what are restrictions defined for a class. What do you mean
> by restriction defined at property level?

I think global restrictions like functional property?