[seek-dev] suggested Ecogrid tasks

Deana D. Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Thu Apr 7 06:47:15 PDT 2005

Re: your 3rd item, building the eco digital library, this is indeed a huge job,
especially if all of the data have to have EML.  I think we should try to get
some funding (perhaps BDI?) to hire a few people to work just on this.  I could
see, for instance, a BDI proposal to find data and tools, get them described for
use on the system, semantically tag them, and get them on the system.  The
research objective would be developing the KR needed to do the semantic tagging.
 Mark and I noted the need for a bigger KR effort at the meeting in Davis in March.

Deana

Quoting Bing Zhu <bzhu at sdsc.edu>:

> Matt,
>
> After talked with Raja, we suggested the following tasks for
> Ecogrid development.
>
> 1. Ecogrid web page development for
>      - upload Eco-data into SEEK data repositories (Metacat, SRB,
> DiGir,
> etc)
>      - search and view SEEK Eco-data
>      - submit computational jobs in Ecogrid
>
> 1. Deployment of Condor to Ecogrid for distributed job submission.
>      This is a feedback from Raja's talk in SEEK workshop in Jan.
>      Most probably we will use the approach of Minigrid from UK.
>      We are aware of the similar R&D work by you and Ilkay for a
> Kepler
>      solution. I didn't see the conflict between these two efforts.
>
> 3. Build SEEK digital library -- This is a huge job and will
>      be very useful for SEEK project and Eco-scientists in general.
>      Basically we would find any public Eco data and mine those data
> into
>      Metacat (if XML documents) or SRB (if a file, e.g. image,
> acoustic
>      data, etc).
>      And also the data collected in our Ecogrid can provide useful info
> for
>      other SEEK groups such as Taxonomy and modeling.
>      Actually there are a lot of Eco data just at SDSC. We need to
>      talk to those domain scientists and mine their data into SEEK
>      data repositories. It is conceivable that collecting eco-data can
> be
>      our big useful task.
>

> Sincerely,
> Bing
> Ecogrid Team
> SEEK project
> Bing Zhu
> Programmer/Analyst III
> San Diego Supercomputer Center
> (858)534-8373
> bzhu at sdsc.edu

Dr. Deana D. Pennington
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001