[seek-dev] RE: registry metadata and design

Bing Zhu bzhu at sdsc.edu
Wed Sep 15 19:23:39 PDT 2004

Matt,

I read your wiki page, our design docs in Seattle and the current
implementation
of registry. The design doc looks good.

Here are my comments regarding implementation of Ecogrid registry service.

1. registry interface
       Here is a list of operations in current registry interface.
          RegEntry getEntry(String serviceName)
          int registerEntry(String serviceName, String serviceRegName,
String serviceWebAdd)
          int updateEntry(String serviceName, String serviceRegName, String
serviceWebadd)
          int removeEntry(String serviceName)
          RegEntry getEntryByRegName(String serviceRegName)
          String getXMLListing(void)
          String getXMLEntryByName(String serviceName)
          String getXMLEntryByRegName(String serviceRegName)

      And I took a look of the implementation, compiled the code and they
looked fine. Basically we just need
      some modifications based on these operations especially for remove(),
update() and registerEntry() after
      we decided to have a new authentication service. I will modify the
gwsdl tomorrow. And if you have any
      comments, please send them to me asap.

2. Store registry entries in Metacat.
       We can create a user account which is dedicated for registry only,
say 'EcoRegAdmin'. we store all registry
       entries using this Metacat user account. In this way we avoid avoid a
problem of having a 'collection' just
       for registries. i.e. in querying all registries in Ecogrid, we just
need to search all documents owned by
       user 'EcoRegAdmin'.

Sincerely,
Bing