[seek-dev] registry metadata and design

dave thau thau at learningsite.com
Tue Sep 14 01:41:46 PDT 2004

Just a note on the identifiers.

I'm currently working on adding metadata to the taxon lsid server.  You
can query the lsid server for the services it provides and the response is
a WSDL document.  You can request metadata about any data item, which
traditionally comes back as an RDF document.  In addition, the lsid
specificiation contains ways of tagging data and metadata with types to
help clients understand what to do with the information they get.  Some
types are text, html, gif, png, that sort of thing, and you can create
your own as well.

I'll post here when I have something reasonable to demonstrate.

Dave

> Bing,
>
> Here's the thoughts I said I would send your way regarding registry
metadata and the design and implementation of the registry.  Instead of
putting it in an email, I created a wiki page so that you and others
could add to it and revise it in a coherent way:

> http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp?page=EcoGridRegistryDesign
>
> It covers registry metadata, implementation, service identifiers,
distributed regitries, and links to earlier notes, documents, diagrams,
and prototypes.

Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu