[seek-dev] testing Ecogrid services in Kepler!?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 13 15:52:50 PDT 2004

Hi Bertram,

They already are being put into Kepler, but as part of the UI rather
than as actors.  Adding them as actors too wouldn't be a problem, but it
hasn't been our emphasis yet.

By selecting the 'Data' tab, typing a phrase, and hitting 'Go' you run
an ecogrid "query".  Dragging a resulting data object to the canvas
results in running an EcoGrid "get".  We have not yet exposed the
"authenticate" or "put" routines, but soon we will.  Bing and Jing are
working on getting the registry exposed in Kepler so that you can choose
which EcoGrid nodes are searched and accessible, but for now the nodes
are in a configuration file.  Eventually I'd like this interface to
include all of the appropriate data access systems (e.g., JDBC, etc.),
but for now its just EcoGrid.

Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
> For example, sth like this:
>
> [authenticate]-->[query]-->[get]->[some_local_update]->[put]
>
> Is that a meaningful exercise? It seems in this way we could not only
> test and debug Ecogrid functions but also communicate to the outside
> world some functionality...

Yep, I think that would be very meaningful.  We're close.  Of course,
some EcoGrid systems support all of those calls (Metacat, SRB) while
others only support a subset (DiGIR).  So the system needs to fail
gracefully for those that don't.

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara