[seek-dev] summary of work - WW

David Stockwell davids at sdsc.edu
Thu May 6 12:16:54 PDT 2004

Hi,

I am responding to Raja's suggestion of a summary of work.

I will be bringing to the meeting a CD on which is a distributable
copy of WhyWhere, the new species prediction algorithm.  This
and a number of grid-like features:

- species prediction algorithm handling large data sets,
the CD has a small amount of avaialbe
ecological data due to space limitiations, we hope to make the
rest available via the grid.
- a client-server architecture with a spec. based interface to
the analysis server. This allows new interfaces to be reconfigured
for specific analyses, front ends to biological databases etc.
- a light powerful C web server that does the serving in the
distributable app. We are incorporating a lot of our algorithms
into this framework (called T) and in the next step will be
looking into the Elagi library for grid computing access.

The plans are now to support distribution of the software,
and build the base of web sites using it to serve predictions.
Most importantly we want to start to link it into the ecogrid
work using Elagi, and Kepler or whatever works best, to provide
a system for providing both data and analysis services.

Cheers