[seek-dev] RE: registry in Ecogrid

Jing Tao tao at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 26 11:32:21 PST 2004

Hi, Bing:

You may try the dev machine in nceas. This our semi-production ecogrid
service.

Here is the steps you need to do:
1) Create a knb account in knb.ecoinformatics.org(Please chose SDSC as
   organization name)
2) Enable cookie function in your browser
3) In http://dev.nceas.ucsb.edu:8080/ogsa/style/skins/dev/login.html,
  fill out the user name and password. user name should look like:
  uid=username,o=SDSC,dc=ecoinformatics,dc=org
4)After success login, change the url to
   http://dev.nceas.ucsb.edu:8080/ogsa/style/skins/dev/loadxml.html
   If you first to insert a document, please chose action "insert", if you
   want update a document, please chose action "update".
   Give this a document a id, for the first time insertion, the id should
   looks like: "zhu.001.1" First part "zhu" is the scope, "001" is the
   identifier for document, "1" is version number. If you want update this
   document, the next docid would be look like "zhu.001.2"
   If you want insert another document, the id could be "zhu.002.1"...
   The textarea is the palace to for put your xml document.
   Then click "Process Action" button.

That's it!

We have a good tools to create eml document and load to metacat. For
arbitrary xml, we have to use the development tool.

If you have any question, please let us know.

Thanks!

Jing

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Bing Zhu wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> I originally also thought that either Metacat or SRB should be a good choice
> for
> storing ontologies since we already built query function for Metacat and SRB
> (Digir too)
> in Ecogrid.
>
> Let us work on the Metacat approach first. Please send me some documents
> or examples to create datasets in Metacat.
> (If you have several Metacat instances, please let me which one is to be
> used for
> our SEEK project.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bing