[seek-dev] ecogrid query

David Stockwell davids at sdsc.edu
Thu Jul 22 10:29:48 PDT 2004

>Another option is to load EML metadata describing
>the data into the KNB metacat, and then point that at the data objects
>in the SRB.

This sounds like a good option. The metadata is a used in the Global
Ecosystems CDs and
would be best to accommodate it.  An example is listed below.  Who do I
call now?

file title  : Olson World Ecosystems Version 1.3A
data type   : byte
file type   : binary
columns     : 720
rows        : 360
ref. system : lat/long
ref. units  : deg
unit dist.  : 1.0000000
min. X      : -180.0000000
max. X      : 180.0000000
min. Y      : -90.0000000
max. Y      : 90.0000000
pos'n error : unknown
resolution  : 0.5000000
min. value  : 0
max. value  : 29
value units : classes
value error : unknown
flag value  : none
flag def'n  : none
legend cats : 30
category  0 : 0 OCEAN/SEA Oceans, Seas (including Black Sea)
category  1 :  1 CONIFOR  Conifer Forest
category  2 :  2 BRODLFOR Broadleaf Forest: temperate, subtropical drought
category  3 :  3 MIXEDFOR Mixed Forest: conifer/broadleaf; so. Boreal
category  4 :  4 GRASSHRB Grassland +/- Shrub or Tree
category  5 :  5 TROPICFR Tropical/subtr. Forest: montane, seasonal,
rainforest
category  6 :  6 SCRUBWDS Scrub +/- Woodland &/or fields (evergreen/decid.)
category  7 :  7 SEMIDTUN Semidesert shrub/steppe; Tundra (polar, alpine)
category  8 :  8 FLDWDSAV Field/Woods complex &/or Savanna, tallgrass
category  9 :  9 NORTAIGA Northern Boreal Taiga woodland/tundra
category 10 : 10 FORFDREV Forest/Field; Dry Evergreen broadleaf woods
category 11 : 11 WETLAND  Wetlands: mires (bog/fen); marsh/swamp +/-
mangrove
category 12 : 12 DESERTS  Desert: bare/alpine; sandy; salt/soda
category 13 : 13 SHRBTRST Shrub/Tree: succulent/thorn
category 14 : 14 CROPSETL Crop/Settlement (irrigated or not)
category 15 : 15 CONIFRFC Conifer snowy Rainforest, coastal
category 16 : 16          not used
category 17 : 17          not used
category 18 : 18          not used
category 19 : 19 MANGROVE Mangrove/wet forest/thicket + tidal flat
category 20 : 20 WALANCST Water (~51-90%) & Land, Coast/hinterland
complexes
category 21 : 21          not used
category 22 : 22          not used
category 23 : 23 ISLFRING Island or Fringe land (91-99% water)
category 24 : 24 LANDWATR Land/Water (~21-50%) complexes
category 25 : 25 ICE      Ice: Glaciers & emerging rocks near fringe
category 26 : 26 POLARDES Polar Desert
category 27 : 27 WTNDMHTH Wooded Tundra Margin; Heath/moorland
category 28 : 28          not used
category 29 : 29 INLDWATR Inland Water bodies (including Caspian Sea)
comment     : 14 Major Ecosystem classes and 8 fringe classes, plus Ocean
lineage     : Derived from WE1.4D by aggregating classes to .5-degree
completeness: .5-degree coverage complete for land areas, based on WE1.4D
consistency : All values represent spatial dominance at .5-degree

Arcot Rajasekar wrote:

>Matt
>	I like the approach of a separate metadata respository wityh links
>to an object repository. But if the metadata is not in EML then we may
>have to do some other metadata repository possibly MCAT.
>
>  thanks
>raja
>
>On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Matt Jones wrote:
>

>>Hi David,
>>
>>You can query using the existing ecogrid interfaces, but only against
>>the metadata that is available for the data source.  By default, SRB
>>doesn't have much contextual metadata.  I've talked with Raja about
>>modifying SRB to accept an EML description of the data and load that
>>into the extended metadata for the dataset, but that hasn't been done
>>yet as far as I know.  Another option is to load EML metadata describing
>>the data into the KNB metacat, and then point that at the data objects
>>in the SRB.  Then, searching the EcoGrid will find metadata records in
>>one system that point at data objects in abother system.  But you'd be
>>able to search the much more comprehensive EML metadata.
>>
>>If you have metadata you want to query, you can use the QueryBuilder to
>>construct a query, but it is intended as a developer's tool for testing,
>>not an end-user tool.  Steve Tekell is designing and implementing a
>>web-based query app for EcoGrid targeted at scientists.  When finished,
>>it will be installed as part of the SEEK web site.  Until then, Rod's
>>tool and the commandline client are your options for submitting a query.
>>  There is an extremely simple query tool prototype in Kepler, but right
>>now it only searches the KNB Ecogrid node.
>>
>>Matt
>>
>>David Stockwell wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>We are at the point now where we would like to query
>>>the metadata on our datasets to return a list of those of interest,
>>>for further processing.  Could anyone suggest how we might
>>>use the ecogrid to say, query for all datasets that concern climate?
>>>Is this something I can use the QueryBuilder for Rod?
>>>Cheers

David R.B. Stockwell, PhD
Assistant Research Scientist
University of California, San Diego